Thursday, January 14, 2010

Humor in Home Subdivision Names

Eagle Run, Hollow Ridge, and Bear Creek. Recognize these titles as names of home subdivisions in the area where you live? Do they strike you as odd or humorous, even scary?

Personally, if I saw an eagle doing anything other than flying or nesting in a tree I would be taken aback, even fearful. I certainly don't want to see an eagle run because then his wings must be broken and it may need medical attention.

Why would I want to live in a subdivision with a Hollow Ridge? To me that name indicates the ridge is either defective or possibly about to implode and destroy my home by falling on it. Will the homeowners insurance cover this damage since the insurance company can make a case for the implied defective ridge? Don't buy a home there because the builder obviously has low standards for quality.

As far as the subdivision name Bear Creek is concerned, don't bears kill people? This scares me. Also, I don't think a bear would want me to own a house at their special creek. This will make for an angry bear and not a Gentle Ben. I would have to live in fear each day. There are already way too many scary things in this world to invite that kind of trouble.

Many subdivision titles have the word Ranch or Village in them. Now if I am living at the ranch or the village with hundreds of others isn't that actually a commune?

What we need are more realistic and truthful subdivision names that tell you what the subdivision is really about like Rental Row Condos, Mortgage Run Out, Flood Zone, and for the more pricey homes Up The Creek. Of course, this will never happen and most times we don't want to know what we are getting ourselves into and even choose the false sense of security promoted by some of these subdivision titles.

I once rented an apartment named Bayside Village. It was a brand new gated community on the water in Tampa Bay. Three weeks into the lease there was a big drug bust in the unit right above me and the door was jack hammered in by the Sheriff. Lots of commotion as the suspected drug dealer was led away. It was then I realized that for all of my diligence in selecting the apartment complex I had foolishly locked myself in with the bad guys.

Yet our search for the perfect abode in the perfect subdivision continues and with that name seems to come the potential for the true happiness we seek in finding what we believe is our special place in the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment